Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Raging Bull (1980) Review

This was my first Martin Scorsese movie, and let me tell you, it didn't disappoint. Everything about it, everything, was amazing, from the acting to the cinematography to the editing, everything.

What I find most fascinating about the film is that the central character, Jake LaMotta, a boxer whom I hesitate to call him a protagonist, is not a hero in any way. He's crude, he's mean, he has an anger problem, he's paranoid that his wife (whom he abuses) is cheating in him, and he'll do virtually anything to win the middleweight boxing championship. I do have to admire him for one thing, though. He refuses to be knocked down in the ring. Even when he loses the title, he brags to his opponent that he never knocked him (Jake) down.

Probably the only problem I have in this movie are some of the fight/abuse scenes. It was fairly obvious to me that some of the punches were pulled. While I know that all of the punches really were pulled, a fair amount just looked really fake to me. Admittedly, I'm reaching to find fault here, and given that I have some background in the martial arts, I'm not sure anyone else noticed, but still, it bugs me a little.

Bottom line, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's considered by many to be one of the best films ever made. You must watch it at least once before you die.

No comments: