Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Do the Right Thing (1989) Review

Honestly, I went into Do the Right Thing not really knowing what to expect. The only previous exposure I had to Spike Lee was the controversy (for lack of a better word) over his comments about Clint Eastwood's film Flags of Our Fathers, so I wasn't sure what this film would be like. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised, but for different reasons than I expected.

Firstly, the film doesn't really have a plot, at least, not in the conventional sense. Rather than having a single storyline, the film chronicles the events of one scorching hot day on a block in Broklyn, New York. Specifically, the film focuses on the tensions in the neighborhood caused by bigotry and racism. Ultimately the tension reached a boiling point at the end of the film, with tragic consequences.

Secondly, there is no real protagonist or antagonist. Each character has a unique set of flaws, specifically feelings of animosity towards other characters of different races. On the other hand, each character has a set of positive values as well. Even the police officers are viewed (briefly) in a good light as they help the neighborhood get rid of a raving mad man whose car was soaked by a fire hydrant.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about Do the Right Thing. While I did enjoy the film, I probably won't watch it again. While I could make sense of the story, I prefer films with clear, conventional plotlines (sorry, I'm an English major). Also, the film was just a bit too "loud" for my tastes; the music is blared at max volume, especially when Radio Raheem in in the story, and most of the dialogue is shouted, even when two characters are right next to each other. While it isn't one of my favorite films, I would say that Do the Right Thing is definitely worth a watch.

No comments: