Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Godfather (1972) Review

Well, it was very different from what I was expecting, but I still loved The Godfather.

I knew it was, and expected it to be, a violent film. However, it was nowhere near as violent or as action-packed as I expected. Instead, I found it to be more drama and character-driven. Ordinarily, I'm not a fan of such films, but Francis Ford Coppola won me over with this film. It was fascinating to see Michael Corleone's transformation from a young man who wants nothing to do with the family business to a vengeful killer to the new Don Corleone.

The film is long to be sure (a hair under three hours), and while it did feel long, not once did I find it to be boring. Not even during the opening sequence, which alternates between random moments at Connie's wedding and Vito Corleone doing business, was I bored for even a second. Most films, I'd be snoring in my chair, but The Godfather had me hooked the whole way through.

In short, this is an amazing film, and like Apocalypse Now, you absolutely must watch it at least once before you die.

No comments: