Friday, October 17, 2008

Breathless (1960) Review

Did Breathless leave me breathless? No. (sorry). Did it leave me dazed and confused? Yes indeed. While the film is noted for its unconventional style of editing, that wasn't what bothered me: I actually got used to the abrupt cuts and shifts rather quickly. No, what bothered me was the ambiguity of the plot and relationship between the characters (and I'm an English major! I really should get better figuring this out!)

I figured that Michel's a thief who jacks cars for a living, and that he sleeps with (and lies to) a whole bunch of girls, but honestly, I couldn't figure out what he saw in Patricia. Likewise, I couldn't really decide how Patricia felt about Michel; she seems to go from loving him to hating him to loving him to running away with him to calling the police on him to telling him he called the police on him. Come on girl, make up your mind already! I also couldn't figure out why he was so desperate to hook up with Antonio. Michel said that Antonio owed him money, but I thought that get got the money from the guy in the travel agency...? Whatever.

Honestly, this is the first movie I've reviewed that I'm not going to recommend. It just left me too confused to like it.

1 comment:

Kevin M said...

Just on a minor plot point--the guy at the travel agency gave Michel a check, so I believe Michel was looking for someone who would cash it. I think.