Saturday, November 15, 2008

Touch of Evil (1958) Review

I hate to admit it, but I really did not enjoy Touch of Evil that much. It wasn't a bad movie by any means; it just didn't draw me in nearly as much as Double Indemnity did. I guess part of the reason was that I had read about the film long before I watched it, so I knew most of the major twists. Even so, I knew Psycho's twist before I saw that, and that film still drew me in...

Honestly, this movie just doesn't strike me as being very film noir. It's just a bit too bright, and the characters at times seem just a bit too happy. There also isn't very much use of shadow in the film, and the overall ambiance is just too bright.

Regardless, it's still a very well-done movie. Charlton Heston and Orson Welles are brilliant in their respective rolls as Vargas and Quinlan, while Janet Leigh (who still doesn't have good luck with motels) does a good job as Vargas' new (and somewhat clueless) wife. Similarly the plot is very well-developed and should keep people (at least ones who don't know it beforehand) entertained.

Overall, I think that Touch of Evil is a good movie by itself and is definitely worth a watch. However, I don't think it fits into the category of Film Noir very well.

No comments: