Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Blade Runner (1982) Review

Frankly, I was disappointed by this film. It was a bit too gory for my tastes, but nowhere near to the level that would make me not like it the way I do.

The cinematography in this film is absolutely amazing. Who would have thought scene after scene of polluted urban sprawl could be so... so... beautiful? Likewise, the random roving spotlights that are omnipresent throughout the film lend it an Orwellian feel, almost as if Big Brother is always watching.

Likewise, the mise-en-scene is fabulous. Everything, and I mean everything, looks like it belongs in the worn, dreary, distopian city that is LA in 2019. From the clothes to the cars to the weapons, to the building-covering jumbotrons, everything looks real - even more stunning once one realizes that there is no GCI in the film whatsoever.

Editing, while not as strong as the cinematography or mise-en-scene, is also very well-done, giving the film a definite noir-is feel to it. It doesn't do quite as good a job of building tension as I would like, but it is adequate nonetheless.

I guess the reason I didn't really like this film is just because it was so hyped, for me anyway, that it had reached a standard that no film could realistically live up to. I would have like to have watched the cut with Harrison Ford's narration, though. Maybe that would have made it seem better. But, either way, I have to admit that Blade Runner is an excellent film and should definitely be watched, especially if you're a science-fiction junkie.

No comments: