Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Maltese Falcon (1941) Review

I enjoyed The Maltese Falcon. While there was nothing really special about the film (aside from Humphrey Bogart, of course), like Casablanca, it's just one of those films that pulls the viewer in and doesn't let go until the end.

Honestly, I think the reason I enjoyed the film so much is because I love a good who-done-it. Problem is, I usually have them figured out by at least the halfway point, and while I did have most of the plot figured out by about 2/3 of the way through the film, I didn't figure out everything until it was explained at the end. That's what I really loved about this film: it kept me guessing.

Artistically, as I said, there really isn't anything that sets this film apart. The cinematography, mise-en-scene, and editing are all typical of the classic 1930s-1950s era of Hollywood. As I said, nothing special, but the acting is where the film shines. Bogart is, as usual, superb, as are Mary Astor, Syndey Greenstreet, and Peter Lorre. Personally, I thought it was excellent to see those last two in full-fledged roles and not just the bit parts they had in Casablanca.

While it's nothing special, The Maltese Falcon is a true gem. It's worth a watch. Trust me, you won't regret it.

No comments: