Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Apocalypse Now (1979) Review

Wow. Just, Wow. This movie has completely blown my mind. Way beyond what I was expecting it to be.

Honestly, I thought this was just another Vietnam War movie, but it is so much more than that; it quickly descends into a surreal experience, almost an examination of the human psyche.

The acting in this film is absolutely astonishing. You can actually feel the characters' sanity slowly but definitely slipping away as the boat travels up the river. It's subtle at first, but by the time the boat reaches the Do Long bridge, you have to question whether Willard will follow through with his mission to kill Col. Kurtz or wind up joining him and his "tribe."

Adding to the surreal experience is Francis Ford Coppola's expert use of light, color, and shadow, which slowly but surely takes film from a cut-and-dry Veitnam War setting to the surreal, almost fantastical, world of Col. Kurtz.

Really, this film is so much more than what I describe here. It is so incredible, and has made such a huge impression on me that I cannot find the words to adequately describe it, other than to say this is without a doubt one of the best films ever made and YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST WATCH THIS FILM BEFORE YOU DIE. It is just that amazing.

I'll leave you with my absolute favorite clip from the film: the helicopter raid on Charlie's Point with Wagner blaring in the background.



(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmFvg3dYu0)

No comments: